ii. The Programme aims at mainstreaming sport as a tool for individual development, community development, economic development
- An unprecedented Pan Indian Sports Scholarship scheme, which would cover 1,000 most talented young athletes.
- Each athlete selected under the scheme shall receive an annual scholarship worth Rs. 5.00 lakh for 8 consecutive years.
- This is the first time ever that a long-term athlete development pathway would be made available to gifted and talented youngsters
- to excel in competitive sports.
- The Program aims to promote 20 universities across the country as hubs of sporting excellence, which would enable talented
- sportspersons to pursue the dual pathway of education and competitive sports.
- The Programme would cover about 200 million children in the age group of 10-18 under a massive national physical fitness drive.
ii. The WHO South-East Asia Regional Health Emergency Fund (SEARHEF) grant will support 20 mobile medical teams to provide essential
services for at least two months.
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is the newly appointed Director-General of World Health Organization.
- WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
ii. Growth in global trade was earlier projected at 2.4 percent in 2017 by the WTO, which attributed the improved outlook to a resurgence
of Asian trade flows. This was mainly due to intra-regional shipments picking up and a recovery in import demand in North America.
- Roberto Azevêdo is the sixth Director-General of the WTO.
ii. The speed was reduced to 300 kilometers per hour following the deadly accident in July 2011 that killed 40 people.
- China has the world’s longest high-speed rail network of over 22,000 kilometers, about 60 percent of the world’s total.
ii. More than 120 countries approved the new nuclear weapons ban treaty in July 2017 over opposition from nuclear-armed
countries and their allies, who boycotted negotiations.
- The United Nations is Headquartered in New York, United States.
- Irina Bokova is the Present Director-General of UNESCO.
ii. An interesting feature of the mobile app is that it allows customers to seamlessly access wallet as well as savings account, with a single login and
- Rishi Gupta is the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Fino the Paytech.
- FINO PayTech is headquartered in Mumbai.
ii. Sambamurthy was formerly Director and CEO of the Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) and Chairman and
Managing Director of Corporation Bank prior to that.
- NPCI is the umbrella organization for all retail payment systems in the country
- B Sambamurthy has been the nominee director from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on the board of NPCI since December 5, 2013.
ii. In addition to the bigger retailers and brands, the mid-size brands from across the world are also looking to cash on the relaxed retail policy in India.
- Arun Jaitley is the Cabinet Minister of Finance.
ii. Mr. Mustapha was chosen as the winner of the award for his humanitarian work in championing the rights of children.
- The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950.
- In 1954, UNHCR won the Nobel Peace Prize for its groundbreaking work in Europe.
- Filippo Grandi is the 11th United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
ii. The slogan of the tournament "Dare To Shine" reflects the development of football, especially women's football.
- Gianni Infantino is the President of FIFA.
- The 2019 edition of FIFA Women's World Cup will take place from June 7 to July 7, 2019.
ii. Tamil Nadu’s Lakshmanan won the men’s 3000m while Kerala’s Chitra, who was not cleared by the national body Athletics Federation of India for the recent
World Championships in London despite making the cut, took the women’s 1500m title.
- Ashgabat is the Capital of Turkmenistan.